NEW YORK – AT&T Friday that the shutdown of its second-generation, or “2G,” wireless network will be complete by the end of 2016, a process that will force customers with older phones to upgrade to “3G” or “4G” handsets.
In a regulatory filing, the Dallas-based company said 12 percent of its customers on contract-based plans, or 8.4 million people, have 2G phones.
AT&T said it’s shutting down the older network, which doesn’t support high data speeds, city by city. It said earlier this year that the process has started in New York City, and it’s trying to move the city’s 2G subscribers to new phones.
By shutting down 2G AT&T can …